Before any IT solicitation is released, the business owner, SMEs and the IT procurement professional should complete the following checklist to verify completeness and quality of the requirements:
- Applicability: Do the requirements actually define what is being procured. Fixing a requirement error after delivery can cost up to 100 times the cost of fixing the implementation error.
- Validity: Do the requirements provide the functions which best support the agency's needs?
- Consistency: Are there any conflicts or ambiguities in the requirements?
- Completeness: are all performance, technical and functional requirements and expectations required by the agency included?
- Realism: Can the requirements be implemented given available time, budget, resources and technology?
- Verifiability: Are the requirements realistically testable?
- Comprehensibility: Are the requirements easily understood?
- Traceability: Is the origin of the requirements clearly stated?
- Adaptability: Can the requirements be changed without a large impact on other requirements?