[Chapter 7 pdf]
- Purpose: This chapter provides the policies and guidelines that the Commonwealth’s executive branch agencies and institutions shall follow to promote the Commonwealth’s socio- economic goals while procuring information technology (IT).
- Executive Order 35 (2019) establishes a goal that the Commonwealth should exceed its target goal of 42% of its purchases from small businesses including small businesses owned by women, minorities, service-disabled veterans and micro- businesses.
- Any executive branch agency’s goals under § 2-4310 of the Code of Virginia for participation by small businesses shall include within the goals a minimum of 3% participation by service disabled veteran businesses as defined in §§ 2.2-2001 and 2.2-4310 when contracting for goods and services.
- VITA has developed procurement policies and guidelines designed to encourage eligible contract users and state agencies to procure IT products and services which help to minimize the environmental impact from the use and disposal of those products.
- Executive Order 77 (2021) sets a statewide goal to reduce plastic pollution and eliminate the need for new solid waste disposal facilities in Virginia, and mandates that all executive branch agencies completely phase-out the buying, selling, or distribution of all non-medical single-use plastic and expanded polystyrene objects by 2025.
In this chapter
7.1 Small businesses, including small businesses owned by women, minorities and service disabled veterans and micro businesses