By describing requirements in terms of performance outcomes, and not requiring detailed specifications, agencies can help achieve all of the following objectives:
- Maximize performance—allow a supplier to deliver the required service based on its own best practices and the customer’s desired outcome;
- Maximize competition and innovation—encourage innovation from the supplier base using performance requirements;
- Minimize burdensome reporting requirements and reduce the use of contract provisions and requirements that are unique to the state;
- Shift risk to suppliers so they are responsible for achieving the objectives in the Statement of Work through the use of their own best practices and processes; and
- Achieve cost savings through performance requirements.