It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to contribute to the establishment, preservation, and strengthening of small businesses, including micro businesses and small businesses owned by women, minorities and service disabled veterans and to encourage their participation in state procurement activities.
VITA encourages Small, Women and Minority-Owned Businesses (SWaM) businesses, including micro businesses, and service disabled veteran businesses to participate in the state's information technology (IT) procurement activities. This page provides resources
intended to assist such businesses interested in participating in Commonwealth IT procurement activities potentially leading to a contract award.
Doing Business with VITA
Before a business can participate in VITA's IT procurement activities as a SWaM certified business, it must:
- Obtain certification as a SWaM business from the Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (DSBSD) For information regarding the Commonwealth of Virginia's SWaM Certification Programs, including applications for certification and re-certification, visit the Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity website at
- Register to Transact Business in the Commonwealth
For information regarding registration and authorization to transact business in the Commonwealth, visit the State Corporation Commission's registration requirements and process at:
- Register with eVA as a vendor. eVA is Virginia's online procurement initiative. Current and potential suppliers of IT products and services to the Commonwealth of Virginia must register with eVA, at
Selling to the Commonwealth)
- New "Micro Business" category from the Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity Effective October 1, 2014, all state purchases under $10,000 shall be set aside for micro-business when the price quoted is fair and reasonable. Suppliers interested in finding out more information on this new category can click
here for more details.
Once a business has completed the three steps above, it is ready to participate in IT procurement opportunities as a SWaM certified business. For a listing of current solicitations and award notices, please use
eVA. (Also see
How to find Business Opportunities.) All ordering and formalized solicitations are directed through this portal.
Business Development Assistance
For assistance with becoming a SWaM vendor and participating in IT procurement opportunities, choose any of the following online resources:
For more resources regarding owning a business in Virginia, please see the Virginia.gov portal's "
http://virginia.gov/Business" resource section.
Outreach and Educational Opportunities
SWaM businesses are encouraged to check the following websites for SWaM news and events, such as educational seminars, procurement fairs, mentor-protégé opportunities and networking groups that may be hosted by Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity, Department of General Services or VITA:
VITA welcomes input from SWaM businesses for innovative ideas that might work to remove barriers that prevent such businesses from fully participating in technology procurements. If your business has an idea, please submit it to:
IRS e-Newsletter for Small Businesses
The IRS has started a news service, e-News for Small Business. Distributed every Wednesday, it brings timely, useful tax information right to your computer, including, but not limited to:
- Important, upcoming tax dates
- What's new on the IRS Web site
- Reminders and tips to assist businesses with tax compliance
- IRS news releases and special IRS announcements
To start your FREE subscription to e-News, just go to
IRS.gov, type in your e-mail address and submit.
Supply Chain Management