A prudent buyer should do the following before utilizing a joint and/or cooperative IT contract:
- Review the joint and/or cooperative IT contract for conformance with state or local procurement laws and best practices.
- Analyze the product or service specifications, price, terms and conditions and other factors to ensure that the joint and/or cooperative IT contract produces best value.
- Contact the joint and/or cooperative lead agency or public body to verify contract application and eligibility.
- Compare contracts if there are multiple contracts available for the required IT product or service.
- When buying large quantities, verify whether the contract permits negotiation of additional price concessions.
- If a purchase agreement or sign-up agreement is required, confer with an IT procurement professional, VITA or your agency's legal counsel to determine whether the agreement is acceptable.