This VITA function is strategic for the Commonwealth of Virginia. The Secretary of Technology, with the advice of the Information Technology Advisory Council (ITAC) and the CIO, provides strategic direction for the use of technology resources for the Commonwealth. VITA's role is one of facilitating the development of that direction and providing oversight to ensure information technology resources are used and appropriately managed within the confines of that direction. In part, VITA fulfills its responsibility by engaging in opportunity selections and then overseeing the portfolio of selections that have been made. Simplified, VITA oversees the pre-selection, selection, control and evaluation of strategic and designated IT projects and procurements to support Executive Branch Agency business objectives.
We do this by...
- Working with our customers to understand their business requirements.
- Considering both the Commonwealth's current technology portfolio and its strategic direction.
- Collaborating with our customers to expedite projects and obtain the best possible value by addressing issues - and opportunities - sooner rather than later.
- Working with stakeholders to prioritize and select technology investments that optimize benefit to citizens within the Commonwealth.
- Seeking continuous improvement, evaluating both existing IT investments and new technologies to more effectively meet increasing business demands.
Direction and oversight are provided through a variety of means including: