PSAP boundaries - NG9-1-1 Best Practices
We are pleased to announce a GIS/PSAP education training event titled "PSAP boundaries - NG9-1-1 Best Practices." With the implementation of NG9-1-1 across the Commonwealth, this particular boundary file is a necessity in the proper routing of 9-1-1 calls. It is equally important that the PSAP understand the process and establishment of the boundary file. This session will cover the best practices of working with your neighbors to establish a file, how to create that file, and the overall importance of maintaining a good boundary layer.
We hope to see you at one of the following locations. Please follow the links to register.
- Dinwiddie - Monday, November 5, 2018, 9:00a.m. to 12 noon, Dinwiddie County Division of Fire & EMS, 13850 Courthouse Rd, Dinwiddie, VA
- King George - Monday, November 19, 2018, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon, King George Sheriff's Office, 10445 Government Center Blvd, King George, VA
- Rockingham - Wednesday, November 7, 2018, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon, Rockingham County Administration Office, 20 East Gay St, Harrisonburg, VA
- Big Stone Gap - Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 9:30 p.m. to 12:00 noon Mountain Empire Community College, 3441 Mountain Empire Rd, Big Stone Gap, VA
- Roanoke - Thursday, January 3, 2019, 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon, Roanoke Police Academy, 5401 Barns Ave NW, Roanoke, VA
- Chesapeake - Wednesday, November 28, 2018, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.,Hampton Roads Planning District Commission, 723 Woodlake Dr, Chesapeake, VA
- Appomattox - Tuesday, December 4, 2018, 1:00 p.m. to 4 :00 p.m., Appomattox Community Center, 220 Community Center Ln, Appomattox, VA
Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM) training
VITA's Integrated Service Program is hosting a statewide training event for telecommunicators. The training, titled Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM), will be held during the month of April. This training, coordinated by VITA and provided by a team of debriefers from the Virginia State Police, is free of charge to the localities.
CISM is an adaptive, short-term psychological helping-process that focuses solely on an immediate and identifiable problem. It can include pre-incident preparedness to acute crisis management to post-crisis follow-up.This training is provided for the telecommunicators in the public safety access point (PSAP), providing education about CISM, getting closure, identifying a need for debriefing and awareness of the resources that are available.
Oftentimes dispatchers do not get the closure they need after a critical incident, harbor feelings they weren't aware of, or felt too ashamed of those feelings and do not seek the help they may need. The training will also provide a little insight of what behaviors to recognize when someone may need a debriefing session.
All events require registration and the training times are from 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. Lunch is not provided.
The dates and locations are as follows:
- Region 1 - April 10. Virginia State Police Headquarters, Training Academy, Room 106, 7700 Midlothian Turnpike, North Chesterfield, VA. Register here
- Regions 2 & 7 - Tuesday, April 17. Fredericksburg Police Department, 2200 Cowan Blvd, Fredericksburg, VA. Register here
- Region 3 - Monday, April 16. Town of Farmville Municipal Building, 116 North Main St, EOC Room, 2nd Floor, Farmville, VA. Register here
- Region 4 - Monday April 30. Southwest Law Enforcement Academy, 330 Bonham Rd, Bristol VA. Register here
- Region 5 - Friday, April 13. Division 5 Virginia State Police Headquarters, 110 Pratt St, Fort Monroe, VA. Register here
- Region 6 - Wednesday, April 25. Roanoke Higher Education Center, 108 N Jefferson St, Roanoke, VA. Register here
NG9-1-1 Deployment Planning Town Hall Meetings
VITA’s Integrated Services Program conducted regional town hall meetings to kick off the next generation (NG) 9-1-1 deployment plan during the weeks of Feb. 12 and Feb. 19. The deployment plan calls for NG9-1-1 to be deployed by selective router pairs, so the meetings were held in those same regional groups and organized around the selective router service areas.
Town Hall Meeting Homework Links
The regional town hall meetings conducted during Feb. 2018 included more details about the NG9-1-1 migration. The meeting referenced several important documents and other information that you will need to successfully migrate your call handling infrastrucure. Please review the documents and other valuable information below.
If you have problems with downloading any of the information, please contact your regional coordinator