Policy, Standards and Guidelines
Project Management Development Training
Procurements & Project Reports
The Project Management Division (PMD) provides consultation, governance and oversight to agencies for commonwealth-level Information Technology (IT) projects and associated procurements from project initiation approval throughout the project lifecycle.
Project Management Division responsibilities include:
- Development of the Commonwealth Project Management Standard, Program Management Standard, and Project Manager Qualification and Training Standard.
- Development of the Commonwealth Project Management Guideline and Program Management Guideline.
- Supporting and ensuring the compliance of IT project/program management standards, governance processes and procurements.
- Agency project management training, consulting and assessment.
- Review and make CIO recommendations for Project Initiation Approval (PIA), Procurement Governance Request (PGR) approval, Invitations for Bid (IFB), Requests for Proposal (RFP), and contracts associated with IT projects.
- Facilitate PIA reviews for agencies and higher education, and recommend approval or disapproval of the project to the Secretary of Technology and CIO.
- Attend internal agency oversight committees on behalf of the Secretary of Technology and CIO.
- Confirm projects have adequate project management and oversight structures and processes that will enable the success of the project.
- Report project status to the Secretary of Technology and CIO with appropriate recommendations for project suspension, cancellation, corrective action and support.
- Review Independent Verification & Validation (IV&V) strategies, proposed IV&V statements of work and final reports of IV&V analysis on behalf of the CIO.
- Develop and sustain the Commonwealth Project Management Development Program which includes qualification requirements, training and the qualification process.
The PMD home page also provides links to established policies, standards and guidelines for the management of IT projects and programs in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Additionally, the home page provides links to training, tools and templates to assist project sponsors, program managers, and project managers in project initiation, planning, execution, control and closeout. The documents and templates provided are aligned with "best practices" established by the Project Management Institute (PMI) and documented in the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK).